During the cold winter months, I have been craving shrimp and broccoli. I love the sweet and tangy flavors that would melt into your mouth. I recalled how easier it was to place a phone order from one of the local Chinese restaurants when I lived in New York City.
Please don’t get me wrong, I love living out here in a cabin in the woods. It’s that the restaurants out here are too far away, and they don’t deliver food.
I decided to create my version of shrimp and broccoli. With a little bit of experimentation, I found the right combination of simple ingredients. So far, I have been pleased with the results. This recipe is easy and brings back all the flavors of an elegant Chinese restaurant.
Enjoy!Jump to Recipe
Here is what I used for the Shrimp & Broccoli Stir Fry
I am enjoying egg rolls from Feel Good Foods as a side dish. They are gluten free and very delicious!
Easy Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 24 ounces broccoli
- 1 1/2 lbs medium shrimps
- 1/2 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 tbs dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- For the sauce: In a bowl whisk together soy sauce, chicken broth, white wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and sweet chili sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the red peppers and broccoli. Stir for about 5 mins.
- Remove the veggies and place in a bowl.
- Add extra olive oil if needed. Add shrimps and stir for 10 mins.
- Return the vegetables along with the shrimps.
- Add and stir in the soy sauce mixture.
- Serve immediately and garnish with sesame seeds, chopped peanuts, or scallions if desired.