When I first moved to the South, I wanted to try Southern Green Beans and it was absolutely delicious! I decided to add crispy oven-baked prosciutto instead of bacon. It’s the perfect combination of rich flavors that will leave you craving for more.Jump to Recipe
What is Prosciutto?
The word prosciutto translates to “ham” in Italian. It’s 100% natural cured ham without any additives, preservatives, hormones, gluten or coloring agents. Prosciutto had been a popular dish in Italy for thousands of years. So, if you love bacon then you should try oven-baked prosciutto.
Southern Green Beans with Prosciutto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 oz prosciutto, about 6 slices
- 2 lbs string beans either fresh or frozen, with ends trimmed
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- tabasco sauce, 2-3 drops
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place prosciutto slices on the parchment paper and make sure they don't overlap.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes
- Remove from oven and transfer to a bowl and let it cool down.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped onions.
- Cook onions until they are translucent.
- Add the green beans, garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, and tabasco sauce. Stir gently to combine.
- Cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and cover with lid and reduce heat. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, blot the slices prosciutto with a paper towel. Chop the prosciutto into small pieces.
- Place green beans on a serving dish and add the prosciutto.