I love making this dish as a quick and savory meal for dinner. Rice pilaf makes a great vegetarian meal. Also, both curry and turmeric have many health benefits.Jump to Recipe
I serve this rice dish with my favorite chutney, Patak’s Major Grey Chutney-Sweet Mango with Ginger.
You can find my favorite chutney here.
Curry Rice Pilaf with Pecans and Raisins
- 1 1/2 cup rice
- 1 cup yellow onions
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried sweetened cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbs ghee or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a medium saucepan add, ghee or olive oil, with the chopped onions.
- Brown the onions in the saucepan for about 5-8 mins.
- Add all the spices: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, curry, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamon
- Brown for another 5 mins
- Then add the rice and stir for about 2 mins. to infuse the flavors.
- Add water and cover with a lid.
- Reduce the heat and let the rice simmer for about 15 mins.
- Remove the lid, add the chopped peacans and raisins.
- Then continue cooking for 5 mins. or until all of the water is absorbed.
Optional: Serve with yogurt, or your favorite brand of chutney.